Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Lord has chosen YOU

1 Chronicles 28:10, 20

"So take this seriously.  The Lord has chosen you to build a Temple as His Sanctuary.  Be strong and do the work....."v. 20 Then David continued, "Be strong and courageous and do the work.  Don't be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you.  He will not fail you or forsake you."

Father to son.  

King David spoke these words as he declared Solomon his successor and informed him that God had chosen Solomon--and not David--to build His Temple.  David had gathered material; he had drawn plans; he had arranged for skilled workers; he had given of his own treasure--but he could not build the Temple of God.  That was Solomon's job.

Fast forward several thousand years.  

I am by no means a king (or queen), just a mother of these three young people with too little time left in my home.   

Under the New Covenant instituted by Christ, the Temple of God is no longer a physical building in Jerusalem.  The Temple now lies within each believer.  

Still, there is a lesson for this modern mother from the kingly father of Solomon.

As much as I want to be able to build a Temple for God in the heart of each of my children, God says I am not the one to build His Temple there.  

Each child is ultimately responsible by the grace of God to build his own internal sanctuary for the Lord.  

Like David, I should provide materials, draw plans, help find workers, give of my own treasure.  I can encourage them to be strong and do the work. I can share my story with them as proof that God will never fail or forsake them.

However, I cannot build the Temple. I can't nag them into it.  I can't discipline them if they don't get it done.  I can't manipulate or bribe them to do the work.

For that, I must trust.

I read this week from a wise mother that only God can change a heart; only God can draw hearts to Himself.  I have to trust that He wants intimacy with my children even more than I want it for them!  I have to trust that He will not fail or forsake them even if they have times of failure.

God has graciously left in His Word the eloquent prayer of David for Solomon that I can pray for my children:

1 Chronicles 29:19

"Give my son Solomon the whole-hearted desire to obey all your commands, laws and decrees, and to do everything necessary to build this Temple for which I have made these preparations."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate