Monday, December 5, 2011

Redneck Advent



God has a sense of humor!

He shows me the very day that I write of my desire to shift our Christmas season focus to the Christ child--without losing the fun and laughter of the season.

My very Southern Cowboy solemnly pulls out the evening's devotion at dinner and we read of The Fall that made the coming of Jesus necessary.

Serious stuff!



He reads from Genesis 3--"Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were nekkid...


Suppressed smirk from the Montana girl with the "pure" dialect.

I look up, and across the table my Songbird is wearing the same expression I know I must be wearing.  Our eyes meet.

Uh-oh.

...."But the LORD God called to the man, 'Where are you?'  He answered, 'I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was nekkid;..."

giggle.  


Now Happy Girl is noticing....


"so I hid.'  And God said, 'Who told you that you were nekkid?"

Baaaaahhhhh!  We lose it.  Gales of laughter.  Very perplexed Cowboy.


Cowboy: "What is so funny?!"

Happy Girl: "WHO TOLD Y'ALL YA WERE NEKKID???"


Whoops of laughter.


I can't resist: "This here woman ya give me--she done give me some fruit and I et it."

Now we are ALL doubled over, tears streaming from the laughter.






As we are discussing writing our own book, "Advent Devotions for Rednecks," I have to wonder if this family is capable of solemnity....







We did recover enough to get back to the reading and this beautiful reminder:

 God still whispers, "Where are you?" because His love longs for us.

Maybe laughter is one of the ways He woos us.







1 comment:

  1. Love this! Remember the first time I talked to the Cowboy & he said that I sound like a hick?? Pot and kettle my friend, but I don't say "nekk'ed". Lol

    ReplyDelete

Translate